Local Area: Lympstone
The parish of Lympstone is located on the eastern side of the Exe and is connected to other towns and villages along the estuary by the Avocet rail network. The village features a harbour, and is watched over by Peters Tower, a riverfront clock tower built in 1885. Many of its older houses are listed buildings; houses built on the riverfront back directly onto the shore, protected from the waters by metal flood gates owned and operated by the residents themselves.
Lympstone Common lies to the east of the village, and to the west the foreshore is a popular place for spotting many of the estuary's protected bird species, crabbing, or simply looking out across the beautiful river views.
Lympstone's Church of England primary school is situated in the village centre, and Lympstone Pre School is run by volunteers from the community in the village hall. St Peter's independent school offers education from ages 3-13, and Lympstone Language School is a centre for students of English as a second language, offering general learning and business-oriented courses.
The village has two pubs: The Saddlers' Arms lies on the Exmouth Road on the outskirts of the village, and the Swan Inn is next to the harbour and train station.
Lympstone also has clubs for cricket, tennis, football and sailing.
Other towns and villages along the Exe Estuary.